Friday 20 June 2014

Do I deserve to be a medical student?

Hello

Recently I got a few comments questioning if I should be a medical student, so I thought I would show you my UCAS statistics.

I am clearly not the best applicant,but my interviewers saw something in me and they gave me a chance.

My educational history is unconventional.

Being good at Maths, I completed my GCSE at 9, A-level at 13 and Further Maths at 15. I got A* in all my maths exams.

I missed alot of school during my GCSEs so my grades are comparatively bad
10-A*
2-B
1-E
1-U

AS year was a complete washout I got BCDEE. For obvious reasons I couldn't apply to any uni's with these AS results,so I ended up taking a gap year. Remember not matter how much you mess up, its never over and you can ALWAYS turn it around.

I worked my socks off and turned it around to A* A* A* A* A* (with maths I actually have 6A* at A-level)

So now we are at the part where I have left 6th form and its now time to go through UCAS, the head of my 6th form refused to support my application because "people like me shouldn't do medicine"  The worst bit about this experience was the fact that my mum agreed with him and didn't do anything to support me.He had his reasons,I strongly disagreed with him.

So, I decided to get a tutor to teach me biology, she wrote my reference.I had 2 biology lessons per week at the cost of £40 per hour. On top of rent and other living expenses this was very expensive, especially as my mother was against the idea of me studying medicine.I needed to have two jobs just to get to afford this.

Work experience and Extra Circulars
  • 4 years volunteering at a refugee centre(I don't have any doctors in my family, so I could not ask to shadow anyone, but I met a doctor through voluntary work)
  • 2 weeks in a hospital (during this time I absorbed as much as I could, some one was kind enough to take me under their wing and mentor me)
  • Member of youth parliament
  • Member of my local children's hospital (Lots of hospital stays meant, one day I was asked if I wanted to me a member, and I used to attend meetings and vote on stuff/vote for people)
  • Girl guides leader
  • St Johns Ambulance from the age of 10
  • Set up a medical equipment recycling scheme (Lots of expired things like sutures, wont be used by the NHS, but other developing countries accept these and a grateful for them)

UKCAT: 3290Average:822.5

There are so many more academic people than me, and so many more hard-working. But I worked as hard as I could tried my best, and eventually got a place in medical school.I know its tough trying to get into medical school, but guys lets all remember doctors of tomorrow are supposed to be team players, we are supposed to build each other up, and encourage each other.

My GCSE's and AS grades show that grades are not the most important factor. But try your best to get perfect grades, it saves time at interviews.




3 comments:

  1. Oh wow your stats are soooo amazing. 6A*S at A level? That is really impressive. You have gone through a lot but where there's a will there is alwez a way. The good Lord will deffo be your strength :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grades are more than amazing! Good for you! You coudnt deserve it more :)

    ReplyDelete