Tuesday 3 September 2013

Resolutions for the New Academic Year


Beginning a New Year...


September is the time students a new academic year. Some may be brand new freshers,others returning students.

I sit in my room contemplating what to write in my brand new academic planner, (its lego,because I adore lego blocks)the first day of another new school year, whilst sipping my mocha. The year is off to an auspicious start: I’ve set my alarm sufficiently early to allow for quiet prayer time and reflection before getting dressed and packing my bag.



My backpack hangs behind my my door ready to be filled with folders,and textbooks. The pencils are sharpened to a deadly point with not a single eraser chewed off yet, fountain pens are cleaned and filled with new ink cartriges. Summer clothes have been folded and packed away, allowing me to easily select uni outfits. I feel ready – at least for the first day of class.

In my quiet time, I contemplate how to make this the best academic year ever. I face the logistical challenge of living off campus. Student life has pampered me and the idea of living more than 10 minutes walk away from my lectures seems like a great hardship.

In my own life, I find great value in setting and actively pursuing resolutions, defined goals, to achieve desired results. I don’t wait for 31 December to set resolutions – it can happen at the start of a new academic year, the beginning of a month, or even at the start of a season.

My hopes for the school year remain the same year after year. I hope this will be a year filled with spiritual and academic growth, and fun times with friends.

My new academic year resolutions are:

1.Be organised to ensure I get to class on time
2.Maintain my A average
3.Exercise  regularly (studies have shown that exercise improves cognitive function)
4.Try to get a research placement,or some extra GP shadowing next summer( will need to start emailing people ASAP )




No comments:

Post a Comment