Friday 23 May 2014

Ambulances and Paramedics

Yesterday I got to ride in an ambulance,unfortunately I don't remember much about it.

The picked me up for my uni dorm, as my flatmates have told me.I also got a call from the residence office telling me this.

I mixed up my medicines and ended up unconscious (according to the nurses).

So I think paramedics are pretty amazing because
1. Most importantly...I am still alive
2. They some how figured out name age and profession (I would love to know how they figured out i was a medical student, I don't normally tell anyone I study medicine)
3.I some how ended up in hospital with my phone and house keys.(Thank you sooo much, it was very thoughtful who ever did it)

To all the paramedics out there,thank you for doing the job you do,saving lives is the most important bit,but its all the little things that count too.

Now I have a few questions, and some will probably never be answered.

1.Was I unconscious through out?
2.Why is my phone full of pictures of oxygen tanks and black boots attached to green trousers.(I hope I was not acting silly.)
3. Why on earth have I got ECG sticky pads stuck to me, who done it,when did it happen,and why?
4.What if I was being ridiculous, and the paramedics remember me, since I walk past one ambulance station each day on the way to uni, and i walk through A&E to get to the ward I have placement on.
5.Who called an ambulance?
6.Should I still shadow the paramedics as part of my course, of should I stay well away and shadow the police.




6 comments:

  1. Don't you think your too immature to be studying medicine?

    I mean seriously....shouldn't you take more responsibility for your wellbeing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. With all due respect, everyone is bound to make mistakes and nobody's perfect so I see no need for you to be so judgemental or question her ability to be a good doctor.

      Delete
    3. I am not the original op.....but seriously
      Would you feel the same if you where a Medicine applicant who has tried everything to get into medical school but they just don't get picked.

      1.So much emphasis is put on self care and managing stress.
      2.doctors are supposed to be a good example to their patients.

      I got 4 rejections this year,and I will admit it makes me wonder how the blogger got through the interviews then done this.
      Its not fair!

      Delete
    4. If you get the grades, work experience and you impress the interviewers, I see no reason why you shouldn't be picked over others who didn't do as well as you did.

      Delete
  2. I made a mistake, and I could have handled things better

    This has been a learning experience, and I am grateful I had the oportunity to learn from this.

    I understand medicine is a highly competitive course, lots of people who get rejected could be awesome doctors, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

    I agree staying healthy is important, but what would you guys say to the doctor who eats junk food or smokes?

    ReplyDelete